Before applying, you must determine the application path that is appropriate. Below is a description of how this choice will affect the documents that must be provided as part of the application process.
All applicants are responsible for knowing and meeting American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Medicine certification examination prerequisites prior to submitting their application. For details of the criteria to sit for the exam, please download the PDF version of the Certification Exam Application Requirements & Policies.
PATH ONE "Fellowship Route"
- Proof of Completion of Fellowship Program* (via certificate or letter)
- Attestation of Ultrasound Experience (see Application Policies, page 10, for details)
PATH TWO "Residency Route"
- Proof of Completion of Residency Program* (via certificate or letter)
- Attestation of Ultrasound Experience (see Application Policies, page 13, for details)
PATH THREE "Experience Route"
- Description of your training and experience in venous and lymphatic medicine, with dates (see Application Policies, page 14, for details)
- Ultrasound Training or Experience documentation (see Application Policies, pages 15-16, for details)
*Program must have included venous disease, venous interventional treatment, and venous ultrasound training in the core curriculum, and it must have been completed within 5 years of the application date to qualify to use this Path.
Programs that end in June of the same year of the April exam are eligible to sit for the exam, and diplomate status is contingent upon proof of program completion.